Wednesday, December 20, 2006

"Snowflake Extravaganza"



Yup, another thing I forgot today, A's Christmas Concert. It was just about as bad as always, I really dislike school functions. I hated them when I was a student and, in fact, did not go to my Grade 8 graduation or my High School Prom because I dislike school functions so much. My opinion really hasn't changed over the years. A, however seems to enjoy singing in front of the school ... or at least goofing off on the stage ... so I go with him. K never wanted to take part in school stuff so I managed to avoid all the lower grade school concerts with her.

First of all the timing was bad ... Six PM? Please! But I went and took A, we left everyone else at home because I knew it was going to be crowded and boring. I dropped A off at his classroom to get ready and then went down to the gym ... or rather the hallway outside the gym. The Kindergartners were going first so the grade 1 - 3 parents had to wait, and wait, and wait. While waiting I held onto my temper (Next time I will bring a book or music!) and made scathing observations to myself about the other parents like: You dressed up for this?? and It's called a baby sling, why would you bring a stroller into this school? Are you mental? and Why didn't the organize the waiting parents to make it easier for the exiting Kindergarten parents?

Finally we were let in and I stood by the door. Oh yes, they ask you to stay till the end but I only ever stay until my child is done. If I don't really want to be there to see my own child sing badly why on earth would I want to listen to everyone else's children sing badly?? Unluckily this year A's class was dead last. I brought the camera but the gym is so badly lit you can't get a decent picture to save your life and after I took a few I realized I couldn't Blog all of them because they had other people's kids in them and that wouldn't be very fair to post their pictures on the Internet without asking.

So I stood and waited and then couldn't get a decent picture of A anyway because he was in the back row, I think he sang but all I'm sure of was that he was the one goofing off and stuff in the back row. Yup, I'm the Mom of the boy at the back of the class that goofs off *sigh*. Good thing I love him, huh?

He was glad to be done, but not nearly as glad as I was!!



He seemed to really enjoy spending time with just me most of all, and I love to see his happy smiling face, on the way home we got to see our neighbourhood's most decorated house, this shot doesn't do it justice but is pretty cool anyway:



And my final thoughts can by summed up in my version of "Little Drummer Boy"

Little Singing Boy: Lyrics

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
Your kid singing to see, pa rum pum pum pum
Don’t forget your camera to bring, pa rum pum pum pum
To take to pictures while he sings, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So be there at six, pa rum pum pum pum,
Please do come.

Little Boy, pa rum pum pum pum
I am grumpy too, pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give you when you sing, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Shall I wait for you? pa rum pum pum pum,
Oh HoHum!

So I waited, pa rum pum pum pum
Like sheep we were gated, pa rum pum pum pum
I stood long for him, pa rum pum pum pum
I was my best for him, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Then he smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum
his dear Mom.



Oh and should I be worried that this sign is posted at my children's school??


In the end I guess I'm glad I went ... Being Mommy isn't that hard tonight :)

Cass :)

1 comment:

semele said...

OMG I can't believe that have that sign up at an elementary school. How morbid. I'd complain.