Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas, May he rest in peace.

This morning our Old Dog was feeling poorly ... he hasn't been eating and even the smallest amount of activity would make him pant and lay down. J and I rushed him to the emergency vet that was open but sadly he died on the way there.

We were happy he went on his own and are grateful for the time we had with him(almost 16 years), we'll all miss him a lot. J and I, of course are trying to keep things as upbeat as possible and only K knows that Old Dog has left us on the day of the year is supposed to be happiest of all. I guess his gift this year was to be free of his old and tired body. I will cut and paste here a comment a good friend of mine left me that has been very comforting for me today.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here,
that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I'll miss you.

Cass :(

Edited to include a more detailed post that I put on Swap (A Simming group I am a member of):

"I would like to edit my original post but sadly, although we all enjoyed our presents very much something happened just a few hours after my 3am post that just took all the stuffing out if me.

You see, Sammy, our very old(almost 16) dog has been off his food the last two days. For a lab cross this is never a good sign...he was still mobile but panting a lot. Now I don't know who all read my Mommy Blog, but I posted not long ago that I didn't think Sammy had much longer, and I was right(wish I hadn't been).

At 5:00am this morning(yes Christmas Morning), I went upstairs to find that Sammy was laying on his side in the back room where out back door is, panting. While I was petting him trying to comfort him he had a pee accident which I promptly put a towel over and told him it was fine...and not to worry about it. I went downstairs to let J know Sammy wasn't looking good and that I was very afraid that he wasn't going to last the day. While J took a quick shower I checked on Sammy again...he now had his tongue hanging out and was very unresponsive to me. I checked the Yellow Pages for an emergency vet...burst into tears and got J on the phone to get directions. The kids were also up but the only one that was aware of what was going on was K. I wanted to go with J so went to our neighbours across the street to ask one of them to stay with the kids...luckily my neighbour, D was just bringing wood in and I managed to tell him that Sammy was leaving us and we had to take him to the vet...he came over a few minutes later and helped us load Sammy into the van and we left...on the way to the vet office I kept checking on Sammy and just a few minutes before we got there Sammy passed away. The vet confirmed his death at 5:45am this morning.

J and I both had a good cry but managed to put on a pretty strong face for the kids for the rest of the day. K is also sad to know of his death but A and M have not yet asked where the dog is and in the interest in preserving their Christmas I have not told them Old Sammy is gone forever.

My Mom was even over today and stayed for several hours and never asked after the dog so I manged to not ruin her Christmas as well. I had to post the whole story here so everyone would understand if I am slacking it's because I can't see the computer screen for the tears I am crying for my old dog or rather myself ... I miss him so much and wish he hadn't had to go so soon :(

I'll be around but may not be on top of things the way I should be and I'm sorry but I'm sure you'll all understand.

With my warmest wishes for your Holidays,

Cass."



4 comments:

CanadianMama said...

Peace to you and your family Cass.

Old Dog knew a good family to come to when he found you, and while I know you'll all miss him immensely - I know you'll also have many wonderful memories of such a good friend.

I'm sorry he's gone, and today of all days.

Anonymous said...

May Sammy rest in peace and you all continue to live on in peace, and understanding. Know that the love and kindness you gave him will live on forever....
love you all lots of hugs and pass the kleenex.......
Carolynne

Vix said...

That was a beautiful poem. I think it helped me a bit-we lost a dog a year ago but we never feel that he has actually died. He disapeared from our house right when we moved here all I found was his harness kinda looked like he chewed it off, but there was no way he could have reached it where it was so someone could have taken a razorblade to it and just took him while we were sleeping. He was a pit-lab mix so he looked really mean and there are apparently a lot of dog fight rings around here so that is what we figured happened to him because we looked all over for him and didn't find him. Its terrible that we got no closure with him, but hopefully he didn't have to endour those awful dog fights....its terrible that people do those things and frankly, I'd rather he got hit by a car. Sounds awful but if you compare it with your feet in its place I believe any one would rather be hit by a car than cagged, starved, and then plopped in a pin with an aggressive person whose only thought is survival. I honestly believe that is just wrong to treat animals like that. But-as the poem said, Sammy is in a better place...and I hope that you feel better soon, just knowing that. Animals normally become family members to people-so its hard to get over it, believe me I know, I always am terribly upset when a pet dies-and cry for days. With friends and family, I tend to be a bit saddened by it but rarely cry (I know I'm weird). I send warm thoughts to you daily!

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry for your loss. i have a senior dog, 13yrs, who i will miss terribly when he goes to heaven.

i can only imagine how you must feel but he will be looking over your family from doggie heaven. also, thanks for sharing that poem--it was nice. i will remember it when my dog joins yours in heaven(hopefully a long time from now).