Sunday, October 21, 2007

The misbehaving keyboard and my adventures in transit land.

Let me start with a sad tale ... okay it's not sad merely mildly frustrating for me and probably rather dull for you but this is my Blog so; Neener neener :)

Now as most of you who read my Blog know I got a lovely new computer from my mother several months ago(Thanks Mom! I love the new shiny computer!). Well two weeks ago I noticed there was an issue with the keyboard not giving me letters(specifically the letter l)when I hit the key. So I took it into the computer store where we got the system. However I came home with the same malfunctioning keyboard because I couldn't reproduce the error while I was at the store. I thought maybe it had just been dirty and the crumb that had been causing the trouble had fallen out in transit so I gave the keyboard a good vacuuming and hoped for the best.

I noticed however that the keyboard was still messing up and since I typo badly enough as it is with no hep at all and a fully functioning keyboard I was very displeased. I persevered and finally discovered what the problem was; If I didn't hit the keys right on I got no letter. Not on all the keys but on a few if I hit them in the top corner or a little off the center at all I got no letter. I thought "Finally I can prove to them I'm not nuts and they can give me a less fancy keyboard that types when I hit the darn key anywhere!". So I waited patiently for my wonderful friend L to have her car again and she took my back today, two weeks to the day from when I took it in the first time.

After doing a quick search on the website of the computer store I discovered that the keyboard I had that came with my system was actually retailing for $70. I thought "Surely they'll be more than happy to give me a less expensive keyboard!" L took me in and surprisingly I got the same tech as two weeks ago who actually remembered me(probably as that crazy lady with the not broken keyboard). This time I explained exactly what the issue was and he saw for himself what the issue was and that sometimes even when you hit the l key right on you get nothing(darn cursed l key). I said "This is not good." he gave me a line about how it's a gaming keyboard and that it has only one pin under the key so I have to hit the keys squarely or I'll get nothing. Fine. I replied "Yes that's all well and good but it doesn't work for the way I type and that is a problem! I'm not asking for the same keyboard again, I'll be happy with that $25 over there, lets just get this done." Oh no he had to talk to his manager and he was unhappy that I didn't have the box blah blah.

Well then it was "We can give you store credit but we have to wait until the maker of the keyboard is open so you'll have to come back during the week." I explained to him, again, that I did not drive and coming back during the week involved me on transit for a good length of time and was there anyway we could work something out ... but no of course not. Miffed but feeing I had made a tiny bit of progress I left with the same gosh darn malfunctioning keyboard for the second time!!

I got home and checked the transit routes but once I had set up the morning plan(bus, transfer to another bus, walk to store, deal. Then bus, transfer to another bus, get kids and make lunch) I checked the store hours and they open exactly 25 minutes before I have to be on the bus home. Darn. So guess what I get to do tomorrow afternoon with a tired almost 4 year old in tow? Uh-huh...I get to go back to the computer store. I seriously considering teaching M how to throw fits on cue so I can say "We could have taken care of this yesterday when I had no kids with me, but no. I could have even taken the bus and come in this morning with no kids but you don't open until 10am, so no. This is normally her nap time so there's nothing I can do with her screaming she's tired and this is entirely your own fault lets get this done so I can take my screeching kid and go home." I probably won't ...

What will probably happen is that I will walk in ready for a fight and they will give me what I want and I will leave(I will however still be ready to throw a fit, just in case I actually get to). I told my dear J this evening "I am not bringing that darn thing home again. I will break it over the counter and throw the pieces at them and stop and Staples on the way home to get another keyboard but I will not bring that double cursed thing back again to this house!" :) He said I sounded like my Mom ... I agree. You know what? She sounded exactly the same in her 30s as I do now in my 30s. /lol/ I think it's very funny.

... I will add to this Blog tomorrow and let you all know how it goes. Wish me luck!

Cass :)

2 comments:

Vix said...

My Rhanye knows how to throw fits on cue, it works like a blessing when you need it. But it also backfires when she is trying to get HER way. LOL. I hope you get everything squared away and I'm sorry for your issues, that really sucks.

semele said...

I do that, prepare to throw a fit just in case I get to. I love making a scene for a reasonable reason. And I'm really good at it.