Monday, October 15, 2007

Is a load a day too much?

I actually went on the defensive about laundry the other day with J when I told him I was doing two loads a day he felt that was too much. Of course those were the days when A wet his bed(which he hasn't the last three nights!) and M's bedding isn't an issue right now because we have her in Goodnights. When a child wets the bed(either A or M) I have to wash an extra load because the blanket is a load on it's own. If they both wet it's an extra 2 loads bringing my daily laundry up to 3 loads.

Just clothes and household stuff like towels is one load a day(I never separate so we have no whites to speak of) which is about 7 loads a week, 14 loads if there is lots of bed wetting going on and 21 if Meeghan is not in Goodnights. J felt that was excessive he said something about 'normal' households having a 'laundry day'. Uh-huh like I want to spend all of one day doing laundry(I did that two weeks ago Tuesday to get rid of the laundry mountains in the corners of the rooms) so I ended up being a little harsh with him. I guess he has a hard time imagining how we manage to dirty an entire load of clothes and towels every single day.

Is it too much? J, K, & I all wear clean shirts, underwear and socks each day but pants can go two days. A & M wear an entire new outfit each day and sometimes jammies as well(although both children prefer to sleep in as little as possible). I change the kitchen wash cloth and towels everyday as well to keep them from being germ spreaders. I use the old towels each morning to wipe down the bathroom(including the toilet) . I've replaced the laundry hampers(that could hold two or more loads each) in the kids' rooms with baskets(that we already had). I had three baskets that held laundry in progress, now I have one free basket for laundry in progress or I have to take one from a room. This has worked great. Each day I walk thru the house and gather up the stuff that needs washing and toss it in a basket and then put it in the machine. It fills the machine, I'm not doing mini-loads here. Then I pull yesterday's load out of the drier and fold it and put it away and use that empty basket to replace the one I took from a kids' room.

It's been so nice not to see laundry mountains in every room!! Everything is always pretty much done. After all it's kinda hard to whine about laundry if you only have to do one load!!

Cass :)

2 comments:

semele said...

I do 4 loads a week. My husband and son each do 1 load a week. So for my 3 person household, we do 5 loads of laundry a week. Let's add 1 because my son should be doing a load of linens but he doesn't do them often enough. We each do our own laundry so that's 1 load each (I have cut down to 1 medium sized load of laundry now that I wear a uniform. I do wear jeans twice, and I generally wear jammies after work. My 2nd load is my unmentionables which doesn't go in the dryer.) My other 2 loads are towels and sheets with the light weight blanket.

Honestly, if I had 5 in the house, and a bedwetter, I can see having more to do. But I only wash towels weekly. But I'd be mad about J's comment either way too.

Vix said...

I do a load a day. Well, normally, the past couple of days not so much because I haven't been feeling well so I'll have about 5 loads to do once I do feel up to it. I keep a laundry basket in the bathroom, kids' room, our bedroom and downstairs in the closet for kitchen laundry and clothes that end up down there, each day I take the fullest basket and wash, dry and fold it. We, too, have a family of 5. I don't use kitchen rags too often but I do have towels that I use or kitchen use only cleaning up spills, blotting out stains stuf like that. My daughter likes to play dress up all day long, but generally her dress up clothes go back into her dress up box when she is finished with them, unless of course she has an accidnet in them then into the laundry they go, She's been getting better at going potty regularly so I normally only have to do one outfit a day for her, two including her PJs. My boys will wear whatever, if we don't go any where they will generally wear their undies all day-Murphy doesn't like to wear clothes so I don't bother putting them on him, and Brian gets to choose what he wears and since I don't generally wear decent clothes unless I'm going out I can't very well require him to get dressed either. So they don't give me too much laundry. My husband will take his clothes off after work and shower and change, but will typically wear those clothes again because he only wears them for a few hours until bed and they don't get messy. We still have at least a load a day, I wash bedding once a week, unless one of the kids have an accident, which hasn't been happening too often...once since we moved in here-thank goodness-but bedding isn't too big of a deal as, like you said, its feed the washer and dryer and put it right back on the bed. Unless someone wants new sheets, or whatever and still its NBD as it just gets folded and put in the appropriet closet. I don't think doing a load a day for your family is too much, really, I have the extra large capacity washer and dryer and STILL do a load a day!