Sunday, April 22, 2007

Waxed!


Okay it's not the same thing but often I felt I could have used a product like this on the hair growing on my top lip. I have been unhappy about the quantity of hair on my upper lip for as long as I can remember. I have been pondering electrolysis for years but it's expensive and I knew it would mean 2 or 3 or more visits to kill all the hair at the root and there was the risk of scaring I wasn't pleased about either.

I decided it was time to check out the new hairdresser yesterday because A was starting to look more like a shaggy puppy than a little boy. K and M were both being snots so just A and I made the short walk in the lovely warm sunshine to see if we could book an appointment with the new hairdresser. We've been forced to find a new hairdresser because our old one is now under new management and hiked their prices thru the dang roof. I refuse to pay for a shampoo and cut on myself and three kids when all we normally need is just a trim and we leave.

As luck would have it D's next appointment hadn't shown and she was able to cut A's hair right away(thank goodness no more shaggy puppy - although he did ask for a Mohawk *lol*) and I asked if she would have time to fix the hack job I did on my bangs and shorten the rest of my hair for me. She was in the process of doing that when she let me know not to shave my mustache(it is always at it's most obvious this time of year when I am super white and my hair is black) because if I ever did it would grow back and I would end up shaving everyday like a man. Un-offended I told her I knew that and had been thinking of electrolysis for years but just hadn't gotten to it yet - mostly due to expense. She said waxing was way cheaper and why not do that, her wax was right there and already hot $6 and I would be hairy lip free. I thought or a moment and said "Okay, lets do it! I'm sick of the damn thing."

Shortly it was all done ... was it painful? Yes of course it was, I had a fair amount of hair on my upper lip(think teen boy just getting his mustache for the first time ... yeah ... ugh right?) and it was all ripped out by the roots. It is a small area though and it wasn't that bad and I feel it was totally worth it to not have the hair there anymore.

So I have to call and book an appointment for the girls next to get their hair cut but I like the new lady a lot. All these years I don't remember a single hairdresser suggesting I have my lip waxed even when I mentioned the fact that I was hairy and disliked it. I'm in my mid 30s now and feel like a little sprucing up may be in order. All these years I have felt self conscious about all that hair, now it's gone. I'm so happy!

Cass :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love ya Cass. I sometimes get my eyebrows waxed as my little girly luxury. I've had my legs waxed a couple of times too but it's expensive! Thankfully they don't charge by how long your leg is or I wouldn't have bothered at all! lol

semele said...

I got my eyebrows and moustache area waxed once. Turns out my skin is too sensitive and I had a horrible 2-week bright red stinging reaction to it where I looked like the victim of a very specific fire. Awful.

Now I use an over the counter chemical once a week or so that removes the hair (like Nair) from the root and generally I tweeze the couple that remain so I'm smooth as a bottom.

I also use a product you might like from this all-natural company called Arbonne (my friend sells it, kind of like Mary Kay) that is an oil. I rub it on after using my wax-alternative and it makes the skin soft and smooth and not hurt at all. Also good on any tender area, like after a mild burn or sunburn, things like that. Let me know if you want more info on the oil.

Anonymous said...

Sally Beauty sells a sugar wax that's not expensive, comes with a tube of the ... stuff ... and quite a lot of the papers, and you can do your own. It's not quite as good as the beautician doing it, nor quite as luxurious as lying there while someone makes you pretty, but it's better than shaving or embarrassment. :)