Sunday, January 07, 2007

Silence : Hour 16.

Yes all day I have been silent. It has been a tiny bit frustrating at times but mostly it has been a huge amount of fun. Of course now J is saying that everyone took it easy on me, but as far as I can tell my Sunday went pretty much the same as any Sunday. Sure, it would have been way harder to do on a weekday but I think I have proven myself anyway. Being silent has actually been incredibly calming for me. I will have to do my best to remember this feeling. All day I have been very calm and happy. I think I may make a point of being silent for a few hours each week on Sundays maybe. It certainly helps me realize the weight of words in my life.

A asked me if I would be talking tomorrow and when I nodded he was happy. K said she was looking forward to hearing my voice again, Imagine that!! M also said "I wish you could talk, Mommy." She really didn't understand about the whole bet deal and Kirsten told her I was told by a doctor that I had to not talk for a day to rest my voice. I wanted to say goodnight to her so badly so I kissed her until she told me to leave her alone :)

I don't know if J missed hearing my voice today or not. I really didn't miss using it. I always used to say that if I had to choose which ability to lose; my sight, hearing, or speech I would always choose speech. I can show and write how I feel but to not be able to hear my children or see them grow would be horrid! Not to mention reading and music :)

We should all have a day or at least a few hours of silence, to really ponder how our words shape our lives and the lives of our loved ones. Hopefully I will be able to hold onto this lesson the next time I want to yell or complain:

** Silence is Golden **

Cass :)

1 comment:

semele said...

I've been trying to put this into practice more. It's amazing how often you smile when you can't speak.