Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Of Moving and Family...

I was talking to my Sister-in-law yesterday and after telling her my Mom had moved realized I hadn't Blogged about this(so she hadn't heard) ... I've been Blogging about my Mom a lot recently because of all the wonderful stuff she has been doing and I never thought to Blog about the backlash of her good fortune.

First the background stuff:

My Mom is one of 8 kids. She has 6 brothers(One died of cancer a couple of years ago - so I should say 5) and a sister. Three of her brothers are doing quite well for themselves, possibly four, I don't keep track. I do however know that two of her brothers that live in my area are doing quite well. Once of them is B. B owns the house that my grandparents live in the walkout basement of. Several years ago my grandfather begged my Mom to come and live with him and grandma to help out. My Mom, loving her own mother, agreed even though she doesn't always get along all that well with her father. So there they were for several years. One summer Mom came to stay with me for a whole month to make it clear to grandpa just how much she did around there(he kicked her out as well) and again he begged her to come back. Mom did, because grandma needed her. There was still the issue of her and grandpa not getting along but being a daughter myself I understood why she put up with it to be there for her mom.

Recently grandpa went away with some of his sons for a men's camping trip or some such he must have spent the entire time complaining about Mom because when they got back Mom came home from work to a note from B telling her he wants her out 'immediately' nothing about grandma and grandpa just Mom. When Mom confronted her father about it he refused to give her a straight answer so Mom found herself a place to live and moved on July 1st(grandpa helped - Mom thinks to get her out quicker, I tend to agree) I helped her move as well. She is now all settled into her new place and the money she won went to finance the buying of stuff to furnish said place. Mom is happy because she has nice new stuff and a place of her own again, grandpa is happy because now his willful daughter is no longer under his feet and I am happy because Mom is happy, and B is happy because now he won't have to listen to grandpa complain about Mom anymore ... who isn't happy? Grandma because now she's going to be alone way more - this, sadly, is her own fault for not speaking up and standing up for her daughter.

It's a good thing this happened when it did since Mom had the money to manage the move and set up of her own place easily otherwise I hate to think how hard it would have all been. Although coming to stay with me is always an option for my Mom(as she knows) the house is very small and sharing a room with a 6 year old boy is pretty much the only option ... either that or with an 11 year old and 3 year old girl(then their room would be ALL beds). Very crowded in other words.

A short note about my family - I really don't like or speak to most of them. I have my own personal reasons for this and the very fact I keep them out of my life makes my life an easier more peaceful place to be. I keep in touch with my Sister-in-law, a cousin, my Mom, and sometimes even my father(although only sporadically) to be honest the other adult members of my family are not in my thoughts or my heart most of the time. They have all done things to me personally or to my Mom that I find unforgivable and unforgettable. I'm just as happy to forget they exist the majority of the time.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

Cass :)

2 comments:

Vix said...

Wow, that is pretty interesting. We don't much talk to our families any more well, at least not most of them. They are all 2 faced manipulitive selfish people who only care about their own well beings no matter who they have to step on to get there. So, I know how that is. I'm glad your mom was able to move on her own and is now happy!

semele said...

Good for your mom. Its nice to see people get the good fortune they deserve back in life. And you can tell her I said so - even though she has no idea who I am or why she should care. My parents are more or less estranged from their families so I never had close relatives growing up except my grandma (mom's mom) who died several years ago. Now I'm all out of grandparents and don't like my MIL much, but my FIL is fine. However, they're a package deal, like your grandparents. Bummer your mom and her dad never found that common ground. I like that I get alone with my parents now that I'm grown. I still don't forgive them, but we get along fine as adults. I wish I had more family that I knew and could choose to like. I tried to stay in touch with my cousin Tracey for a few years, but she's awful about writing back and didn't use email at the time. Sigh. So it goes. Our paths will cross if they're meant to. In the mean time, we all make our own families of our friends.