Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Progress! "click"

More on the clicker training of the cat: At this time I'm working on him to pay attention to me. The behavior I am clicking is a direct look into my eyes. Tonight I saw a marked improvement in the speed that he looks at me after he eats his treat. So once I got a nice fast look I started holding out for a sitting look ... which he also gave to me nice and fast. I am very excited that I'm seeing progress with him so quickly. Now I will spend a few days seeing if I can get a sitting look from him each time I say his name(which is my cue for this behavior) once I know how to get his attention focused on me I will move on to teaching him something else ... I think fetch would be cool(it will also take a while since I'll have to break down the behavior into smaller steps). A cat that plays fetch! Imagine!!

Cass :)

3 comments:

Vix said...

My ma had a cat that would fetch mardi gras beads and bring them back to ya. It was so funny, this cat even used the toilet it was cool.

CanadianMama said...

Our old cat would sit and stay for me (just on verbal commands), and I could walk him on his leash with ease. It was fun - and funny the looks you get walking around with a scrawny little cat on a leash !

Anonymous said...

I've actually had two cats that would fetch. Barbra (so called because she was a near-together-eyed Siamese that looked like Barbra Streisand)liked the ones that were like plastic cages with a bell inside, and when she'd finished fetching, would put the ball in her water dish. Janet (because she was pushy like all Janets are) preferred the ones like tiny sponge golf balls, and she was SO GOOD with them! She learned the spoken command "Bring me your ball", and she would play catch with me. I'd go to bed to read a bit before shutting out the light and here would come Janet with a ball. (She also brought them while I slept, proven by the many mornings I woke with balls in my bed - and no doubt sat there staring at me and thinking "why doesn't she play?"). She would sit close to the foot of the bed, I'd toss the ball and she'd bat it back to me. I didn't train her, she just did it. Amazing cat.