Monday, February 05, 2007

Clicker Training ... Why not?

So I read in a magazine that J brought home about clicker training and decided that since we have to wait until July for our puppy I would master clicker training with our 8 year old cat. Hey, if I can train our cat to do stuff I should be able to train a dog, right?

The basis of clicker training is to mark the behavior you want. I found a metal bottle lid that makes a good 'click' sound and started tonight working with the cat. First I clicked and fed him treats for a few minutes until he figured out what the click was about ... I used some of his cat treats cut into smaller pieces to treat him.

The first thing I am working on is getting him to look me in the eye when I say his name, he's still a bit slow to do this and may just be looking at me because I'm standing there looking at him but I figure it's worth a shot and will give me something to do at odd times of the day(today's training session was in the kitchen after I put the kids to bed). I'm not sure what I'll work on after that ... maybe a trick.

Hopefully I will have all the kinks of training worked out by the time we get the puppy :)

Cass :)

1 comment:

Vix said...

Wow what a neat trick. I use the bark technique myself, I calmly talk to my animals unless they do anything bad, then I use my barkie voice which makes everyone hut two and they stop, its managed to get my dog trained, and the cats are-well getting there, they are progressing to the water gun technique though...I may try that before allowing a water gun in my house, my hubbie and I would end up killing each other over it. LOL