Friday, June 19, 2009

A Grad, lots of walking and a cat ...

Well I have had a crazy last 3 days. Well crazy for me because I normally keep my life slow paced and dull.

Wednesday was M's grad from SK - she starts grade 1 this fall. K's grade 8 grad is next week - she starts high school in the fall. I keep telling them to stop growing damn it but they just won't listen. J says we need to beat them more(very much a joke as you know - we don't even beat our pets).

Here's the best shot of a bad lot of M in her(paper) grad hat:

Here's a random shot of M cat and S dog laying on the bed together. K took the shot but J said they were cuter before because they had been back to back and touching. S rarely sleeps touching anyone.

Today was super busy because it was play day at my kids' school. K opted to stay home as her class went on a trip to an amusement park and she didn't want to go. A went in the morning but didn't want to participate in play day so he stayed home in the afternoon and M only had play day to go to and wanted to so she went in the afternoon rather than in the morning when she normally goes.

So I walked A to school for his morning of school and M walked with my and another Mom friend of mine with the dog on her walk(she wanted to come - crazy kid). I then had to walk to the school at 11:10am to get A for lunch(he freaks a little when he has to walk alone), take M back to school at 12:10pm for play day and go get her again at 3pm. Lots of walking but I had better get used to it since that will be everyday when my kids go back in the fall without K to walk them. I think they will staying a school a couple time a week for lunch.

Oh but there's more!

When we were just 2 blocks from home a kitten came bouncing out of nowhere right up to S and sniffed noses with her but then dashed away when S got playful. S would never hurt a cat but cats don't know that. I was totally stunned that the cat came right up to her! Cats normally try to make sure S doesn't notice them or get out of sight as fast as possible. The other Mom with me and my little girl M stopped to pet the kitten while I moved ahead with the dog and then, wouldn't you know it, the kitten started to follow us dog & all!!

She followed us all the way home meowing for us to pay attention to her. I felt I had no choice and she is now our second cat. We figure she is about 6 months old and may have been someone's pet since she seems happy to be inside and hasn't tried to escape or anything. She's eaten and otherwise has spent most of the day sleeping. I think she was someone's pet but they never got her spayed so she went into heat and ran away - she is pregnant. I'll give her a week to settle in with the animals we already have and see if she tries to escape then I will take her to the vet. M cat is always leaving the house but he always comes right back but I have a feeling if she gets out we may never see her again.

I know what some of you may be thinking. Why would I take in a pregnant stray? I'll tell you why: I want her because no one else will. I want her because there are 90 cats in my city's Animal Control, 33 of those are cats like C(yes we named her) female and under a year old. I want her because there are 104 cats/kittens free to good home postings on Kijiji. I want her because she's just a kitten herself and she's pregnant and so thin it's painful to look at her. No one cares about cats, cats are throw away animals. If I can't change that I can at least change her life for the better. I would love to see anyone find a better pet home than mine.

Here are some pics of C - her nipples are prominent because of her pregnancy. She is tiny - I think she may weigh as much as 5 lbs but I doubt it. She is very thin. She's grey and white and has interesting markings(to us anyway).

Wish us luck.

3 comments:

semele said...

She does have interesting markings.

Sheesh, Cass, another pet? You haven't even gotten rid of your teenager for the summer and you've effectively taken in 6 more animals (the kittens will be hard to get rid of if you're not pounding them and your kijiji is overrun).

Wait, this isn't a ploy to breed kittens to raw feed the dog? I'm kidding!

Whatcha going to feed her? I hope kibbles.

Cassandra said...

She's only going to have one kitten - no matter how many kittens she has. Yes, that is exactly what it sounds like and I know it's cold but the options for said non-existant kittens are worse so: There will be only one.

I don't feel 3 cats is horrible. They are small and don't eat much and tend to not want/need huge amounts of time.Unlike a dog. They will keep each other company(maybe). So I am only committing to C and the ONE kitten she may have. Remember there is also a strong possibility that any kitten she has won't live because she is young and too skinny.

C is happily eating the ground raw mix that I feed M cat. My hope is since she is young that I will be able to transition her to how I feed the dogs. Mom's little W is now eating chicken necks which leads me to hope he'll be able to handle bone in chicken thigh someday.

LOL You of all people should know I would never give a pet kibble if it's willing to eat raw. Even M cat eats raw(if reluctantly and baited with cheap canned). W was dropping weight at an alarming pace when he was being fed kibble but is now a healthy 8lb, 4 month old Shih Tzu pup. S has been fed all raw since she was 4 months old and is the healthiest dog my Mom has ever seen - and my Mom has known a lot of dogs.

C is getting frequent small meals and has not thrown up or acted unhappy with her food since yesterday morning. She's just happy to have something to eat. She's perky and energetic and happy to have found a soft place to land.

Yes I know I'm insane :)

Jennifer said...

Awwww!! She looks like such a cute kitten. I wish her well and hope she sticks around :)