Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mouses in my houses!

All right I have to come clean about something. I live in an old house and we have always had mice. Like, for the last 11 years we're talking here. Now, I know a lot of people are really all grossed out about mice and worry about pathogens and all that:
I Am Not One Of Those People.
So don't bother fussing at me about stuff like that. This is mostly meant to be funny. Disclaimer done.

Why am I blogging about mice? Well it's because my cat is insane. M cat likes to play with mice. Notice I say play, not eat or kill but play. M will go outside and catch a mouse and bring it into the house to play with it. Sometimes he catches the mice that are already in the house. The whole playing thing would work out a lot better if it wasn't for one tiny little fact: M's fave place to play with his live mice toys is on my king sized bed in the basement.

My basement is only about 2/3 finished and it's a bedroom/computer room/laundry room/work room & storage room in one. So there are lots of place in the 500 square feet down here for a mouse to hide. The cat's toys almost always escape him onto the floor and they stay escaped unless they get dumb and he recaptures them. Recently(like the last 3 days) we've had an explosion of bed mice & mice in the house in general it seems.

Monday night J called me down to the basement(I was on the phone with my pal Kitty - Look Kitty you're in my blog!) because M had a mouse and he didn't have anything to put the mouse in. I am a little softhearted so I like to capture the mice and take them 2 blocks away and drop them off. There are many houses and stray cats between my house and my favoured mouse drop site so I hope they aren't coming back. Anyway I got the mouse and took it away. M cat is a dumb dumb because he saw me pick the mouse up and drop it in the cup and take it away but still spent the whole time I was gone looking for it. Tuesday afternoon K hollered that M had a mouse and was on his way to the basement but it got away before I could get it and take it out of the house, later yesterday afternoon I came upstairs to see a mouse happily walking into the house through the open back door but it went under the freezer and wouldn't come out so I couldn't catch it. Later my Mom cornered it in the bathroom and we got it out of the house.

However, the basement mouse was still at large. S actually chased the mouse a little last night and both J and I were grumpy because we just knew M would catch the darn thing and drop it in our bed thus wrecking our sleep. At least twice we were up looking thru the bed until finally at 3:30am this morning I felt it next to me and when I turned on the light there the little bugger was I said "There you are!" and was about to grab it when it jumped off the bed. So basement mouse is still at large /sigh/ I have to say it's a cute mouse and I hope to catch it and release it away from the house(after marking it's tail with permanent black marker to see if he just happens to be the same mouse from before) so it doesn't wreck another nights' sleep!

I need a nap.

Cass :)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm glad you're not bothered by them being there (except for in your bed) but if it were me I'd want to set a load of mouse traps! At least they're not rats! They make the most annoying of loud noises when they're in the loft *rolls eyes* plus they're huge. It would be handy if you had a snake...that way you'd be feeding your pet and ridding yourself of the mice! :P

PS If I don't get accepted onto the teaching course I've applied for, I am thinking about working in Disney World :P