Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mini Reno at my house!

Crazy to blog twice in one day but I know there is at least one person waiting for this one so here goes. Thanks to my Mom coming into some money we did a mini reno on my house; New kitchen & bathroom flooring, new toilet, new stove, and a new vanity. Following are the pictures before, during and after with my commentary(of course).

Kitchen(before). I didn't realize how messy it was until I looked at the pictures but you try doing a reno like this with 6 people, 2 cats and 2 dogs in a house that is under 1000 square feet and I'd like to see what your pictures look like!
Bathroom(before). As you all know from my Jan 2008 house tour this is my only bathroom.
To save money I then had to do the following:
Move all appliances from the kitchen(that's 2 fridges & a stove)
Move pantry cabinet from the kitchen(it's a stand alone)
Remove toilet from bathroom
Get J to remove vanity from bathroom
Remove peel and stick tiles in bathroom

Now in almost any other house there may be a spare room somewhere nearby, maybe even a dining room that could be used as a storage room. Not in my house. I had hoped everything would fit in the girls' room but the larger fridge would not fit and had to go into the mudroom. I moved K's bed on top of M's bed and put the girls out in the living room for the night.

Kitchen(in progress):
Bathroom(in progress) those are towels on the floor. I peeled up the peel and stick tiles and the left over adhesive was very very sticky and the bathroom still had to be used overnight and the next morning.
Girls' room & mudroom stuffed with stuff:
Living room/girls' room for the night. You'll notice a few changes in the living room since my 2008 tour, it has been 2 years. We have a sectional now and yes it totally blocks the front door. The front windows can be used for an emergency exit.
Kitchen floor going in. Yes I asked permission to post this poor man's back end on the interwebs. Nice guy, worked fast.
Bathroom(in progress). No toilet and leveler on the floor drying. My bathroom is almost a sane size with nothing in it but the tub ... /sigh/
Kitchen(final reveal). Nice and tidy after a day of use. Yes that's homemade bread on the stove top, J made it. I love my fancy new oven.
Bathroom(almost done). J has to put the new vanity and sink in, this involves piping and he has to buy the stuff to do it and all that.
Living room all tidy and stuff - this room looks very nice other than the walls need a fresh coat of paint.
And that was my mini reno. It was a lot of work for 2 days but it's(almost) all done now. Hopefully J won't be too long putting the new vanity/sink in. He's working this weekend so maybe next weekend or some evening this week ...

1 comment:

semele said...

just wanted to say that I'd finally popped in and read/saw your redo. :)